Axes To The Sky were first described to me as a "grindcore" band and at the time that is exactly what I was into, so I gave them a shot. I soon learned to stop trusting the musical opinions of the friend who recommended them to me. ATTS don't play grindcore. They don't play any specific sub genre of metal actually. They are just a metal band, simple as that. Music with great riffs and tons of energy played by a group of long haired goofballs that like to drink, party and listen to metal. Sounds like three million other bands, right? Well, if it aint broke...
Now if you really wanna get down to it, Axes sound a lot like older thrash and heavier power metal, with definite influences from big names like Sabbath (one of the albums I'm posting has a Sabbath pun as the title) and Maiden. But let's not get all caught up in that bullshit. Stretch your neck muscles out, find the tightest pair of jeans you've got, crack open a can of cheap beer and get ready to headbang.

Download: Axes To The Sky-S/T
Download: Axes To The Sky-Always Say Die

Axes are from Lincoln, Nebraska by the way. I never expected Nebraska to have a decent metal scene when I lived there for about 10 months a few years ago, but I was pleasantly surprised. I knew about Wasteoid but there is much more than that, and a good bit of punk history as well.
I'll get into that with another post though.

1 comment:

  1. This state does in fact have a lame metal scene. I've lived here all 21 years of my life.

    Only notable bands are:
    Xenomorph - Technical Death Metal - Early nineties - Split-Up

    However their guitarist has played for Immolation since 2001+.

    Frozen Embers (Melodic Death) became Borealis (Death/Thrash) - and are actually fairly good now.

    Cellador (Power/Speed/Thrash) got a major label with Metal Blade Records and seems to have split. They claim one member as the current line up.

    Basically... Fuck Saddle Creek Records.

    ReplyDelete